• Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 88 degrees and a west wind 6 to 9 miles per hour. Tonight will be mostly clear, with a low around 64. Thursday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 81. There’s a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms Friday, but otherwise it will be cloudy, with a high near 80.
• Are you feeling crowded out of your respective fork? So is our creative director, George Cork Maul. Read his account of “Life on a Crowded Fork” online here.
• A letter from reader Rick Kedenburg, in the wake of Charlottesville: “I hope someday soon we will we learn that these feelings of hatred and supremacy will always keep us all shackled and unable to grow and advance as human beings.” Read the full letter online here.
• Free summer concert series in parks continue tonight, with Billboard Live bringing decades of hits to Agawam Park tonight at 6:30 p.m. and bluegrass band Eastbound Freight at Southold’s Silversmith’s Corner tonight at 7:30 p.m. Get the details on this summer’s remaining concerts in parks online here.
• The East Marion Community Association will host Robert Harper, Southold Historic Preservation Commissioner, for a talk about East Marion’s historic houses as part of their new “Houstories” series this Saturday, Aug. 19 at 10 a.m. at the East Marion Firehouse. More details are online here.
• The North Fork Environmental Council has announced they will hold a forum titled “All Water is Connected and We Are All Connected To Water” on Thursday, Aug. 31 at 6:30 p.m. at Southold Town’s Peconic Lane Recreation Center. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 5:13 a.m., 5:52 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 4:21 a.m., 5 p.m.
Greenport: 5:50 a.m., 6:29 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 6:45 a.m., 7:09 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 5:45 a.m., 6:24 p.m.
New Suffolk: 7:12 a.m., 7:51 p.m.
South Jamesport: 7:19 a.m., 7:58 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 2:23 a.m., 2:52 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:18 a.m., 6:53 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:26 a.m., 6:01 p.m.
Greenport: 6:55 a.m., 7:30 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:49 a.m., 8:12 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:50 a.m., 7:25 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:17 a.m., 8:52 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:24 a.m., 8:59 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:29 a.m., 3:58 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.