• There’s a 50 percent chance of showers today, with thunderstorms also possible after 2 p.m. and cloudy skies, with a high temperature near 75 degrees and an east wind 8 to 10 miles per hour. Showers and thunderstorms are likely overnight, with a steady temperature near 71 degrees. We’re expecting showers to continue into Wednesday, tapering off into sunshine in the afternoon, with a high near 78. Thursday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 75.
• The Southold Town Board will discuss a proposed Oct. 18 economic forum, highway work, housing plan updates and food truck legislation at its 9 a.m. work session this morning. There are no public hearings scheduled for the board’s 4:30 p.m. regular meeting this afternoon. Here’s the agenda for both meetings, here’s the Zoom login for the work session, and for the regular meeting.
• The Jamesport Farm Brewery at 5873 Sound Avenue in Jamesport will host a New York Blood Center blood drive from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. today. Appointments are recommended and can be made online here.
• Tomorrow is a full Blue Supermoon — A Supermoon because it’s close to the Earth in its orbit, and a Blue Moon because it’s the second full moon this month — and the Quogue Wildlife Refuge is expected to celebrate with a full moon hike through the refuge this evening at 7:30 p.m., weather permitting. The Friends of the Long Pond Greenbelt will celebrate with a hike tomorrow evening at 8:30 p.m. starting at the South Fork Natural History Museum.
• Members of Shelter Island’s Water Advisory Committee and Comprehensive Plan Task Force will discuss “Water on Shelter Island: A Comprehensive View” this Thursday, Aug. 31 at 5 p.m. at the Shelter Island Library. All are welcome to attend. Here’s more info.
• Today is the last day to subscribe to receive the East End Beacon’s September print edition via U.S. Mail. You’ll read much of our coverage in print before you find it here, and our print edition supports much of the work we do. Subscribe here. Thank you!
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:45 a.m., 9:11 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:53 a.m., 8:19 p.m.
Greenport: 9:22 a.m., 9:48 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:25 a.m., 10:46 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:17 a.m., 9:43 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:44 a.m., 11:10 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:51 a.m., 11:17 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:04 a.m., 8:27 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:13 a.m., 6:36 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:35 a.m., 10:01 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:43 a.m., 9:09 p.m.
Greenport: 10:12 a.m., 10:38 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:17 a.m., 11:39 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:07 a.m., 10:33 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:34 a.m.
South Jamesport: 11:41 a.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:58 a.m., 9:19 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:07 a.m., 7:28 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.