• There’s a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms today, but otherwise it will be partly sunny, with a high near 86 degrees and a west wind 8 to 11 miles per hour. Tonight will be mostly clear, with a low around 67 and a west wind 5 to 8 miles per hour. Tomorrow will be sunny, with a high near 86, Wednesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 85 and Thursday will be partly sunny, with a high near 88.
• Coast Guard rescue crews are searching for a missing paraglider near Robins Island in the Peconic Bay, a popular spot with the foot-launched, chute-propelled sport. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• Researchers from the state Department of Environmental Conservation have confirmed the presence of cyanobacteria (also known as blue-green algae) at Little Fresh Pond in North Sea. Health officials ask residents not to use, swim or wade in these waters and to keep pets and children away from the area.
• Someone unscrewed the plaque that said “Think Happy Thoughts” from a memorial bench at Ditch Plains Beach in Montauk. The folks at 5 Sanger Place who had the memorial plaque put there are thinking happy thoughts in the hopes that the thief thinks better of their actions and returns the plaque.
• The Peconic Estuary program is holding a month-long photo contest in September. They’re looking for photos of the estuary, critters that live there or other relevant photos. A grand prize will be given in October. Beginning Sept.1, submit photos through their Facebook page or a firstname.lastname@example.org, along with your mailing address.
• The Lone Sharks play their annual end-of-summer free concert at Greenport’s Dances in the Park in Mitchell Park at 7:30 p.m. tonight.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.