Pictured Above: Awaiting storms, New Suffolk.

Good Morning!

• There’s a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms today, with patchy fog before 7 a.m. Otherwise, it will be partly sunny, with a high near 88 degrees and a south wind 7 to 13 miles per hour. There’s a 60 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms overnight, mainly after 9 p.m., with mostly cloudy skies and a low around 72. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms Thursday, with partly sunny skies and a high near 87. Friday will be sunny, with a high near 85.

• It might not be your first pick for a breezy summer beach read, but paper copies of Southold Town’s newly released Comprehensive Plan are available at your local library, and if you love your leisure time here, you have an obligation to go check it out. Read this month’s editorial: To Southold: Take Comp Plan to Heart.

• The Southold Town Office of Emergency Management is offering a public awareness seminar on local emergencies and the role of Southold’s OEM on Thursday, Aug. 8 at 7 p.m. at the Peconic Community Center at 1170 Peconic Lane in Peconic. Southold’s OEM is responsible for preparing the town and the public to manage activities before, during, and after the impact of a natural or man-made disaster. All are welcome to attend.

• The East Hampton Sportsmen’s Alliance will be organizing and judging a Clam Shucking contest at the Fisherman’s Fair this Saturday, August 10 at high noon. More details are in our sister publication, The Peconic Bathtub.

• Speaking of the Peconics, this Saturday is also the Riverhead Chamber of Commerce’s annual Great Cardboard Boat Race on the Peconic River. Registration begins at 9 a.m. and the races begin at 10:30 a.m. in the parking lot behind Main Street downtown. If you’re looking for inspiration, read about our attempt a couple years back to take a cardboard boat down the river.

• State Assemblyman Fred Thiele is collecting non-perishable healthy food donations for Island Harvest through Friday, August 30. Donations may be dropped off at his new district office at 3350 Noyac Road, Building B, Suite 1 in Sag Harbor, Monday to Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, call Assemblyman Thiele’s office at 631.537.2583 or email

• The Southampton Cultural Center Concerts in the Parks series continues this evening with a 6:30 performance by Southbound at Agawam Park, 23 Main Street, Southampton. Southold’s Summer Showcase Concert Series at Silversmith’s Corner hosts John Brisotti & Eastbound Freight at 7:30 p.m. at the corner of Route 25 and Youngs Ave. in Southold. The rain location is Southold’s First Presbyterian Church.

The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:

August 7
Plum Gut Harbor: 3:29 a.m., 4:09 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 2:37 a.m., 3:17 p.m.
Greenport: 4:06 a.m., 4:46 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:04 a.m., 5:34 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:01 a.m., 4:41 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5:28 a.m., 6:08 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:35 a.m., 6:15 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2:38 a.m., 3:18 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:47 a.m., 1:27 p.m.

August 8
Plum Gut Harbor: 4:34 a.m., 5:12 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 3:42 a.m., 4:20 p.m.
Greenport: 5:11 a.m., 5:49 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 6:06 a.m., 6:34 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 5:06 a.m., 5:44 p.m.
New Suffolk: 6:33 a.m., 7:11 p.m.
South Jamesport: 6:40 a.m., 7:18 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 3:34 a.m., 4:13 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:43 a.m., 2:22 p.m.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

Beth Young
Beth Young is an award-winning local journalist who has been covering the East End since the 1990s. She began her career at the Sag Harbor Express and, after receiving her Masters from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, has reported for the Southampton Press, the East Hampton Press and the Times/Review Media Group. She founded the East End Beacon website in 2013, and a print edition in 2017. Beth was born and raised on the North Fork. In her spare time, she tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at editor@eastendbeacon.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: