• Today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 84 degrees and a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2 p.m. Winds will be out of the northwest at 5 to 10 miles per hour, becoming light and variable. Tonight will be mostly cloudy, becoming gradually clear late. Tomorrow is expected to be sunny, with a high near 80 degrees, Friday will be sunny, with a high near 84. Saturday and Sunday are expected to be mostly sunny, with highs near 84 degrees.
• State Assemblyman Fred Thiele has announced that several South Fork libraries have just received state grants for improvements to their buildings. The East Hampton Library has received $10,000 for fire sprinklers. John Jermain Memorial Library in Sag Harbor has received $50,000 for technology, energy
efficiency, and ADA and safety/code compliance projects. Rogers Memorial Library in Southampton has received $42,500 for a new roof. The Shelter Island Public Library has received $50,000 for safety, handicap
accessibility and energy efficiency projects.
• If weather permits, Montauk Observatory members and guests are invited an evening under the stars during the summer’s most reliable meteor shower, the Perseids, tomorrow night at the Ross School Tennis Center in East Hampton at 8 p.m. Montauk Observatory astronomers will be on site to give an informal talk about the meteor shower and provide a guided tour of the night sky using Montauk Observatory’s telescope. More information is online here.
• The North Fork Alliance’s Youth Advisory Council is holding a free scavenger hunt this evening from 5 to 7 p.m. in Greenport’s Mitchell Park. Teens from across the North Fork, Shelter Island and beyond are invited. More information is online here.
• Just Sixties performs a free concert at Coopers Beach in Southampton tonight at 6:30 p.m., jazz band Pocket Change performs a free concert at Southold’s Silversmith’s Corner at 7:30 p.m. tonight and jazz pianist Janice Friedman performs a free concert at the Montauk Library tonight at 7:30 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today