• There’s a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms today, mainly before 10 a.m. Otherwise it will be partly sunny, with a high near 87 degrees and a west wind 7 to 9 miles per hour. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 70. Friday will be sunny, with a high near 85. There’s a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms Saturday, with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 82.
• For far too many East Enders, choosing between keeping the ouse heated and putting dinner on the table is a real dilemma. As the fall approaches, our editorial this month is a reminder of this true need.
• The Riverhead Town Board will discuss tick prevention, a model airplaine park proposal, the Titan Run 5K, a proposed municipal garage and a comprehensive policing plan at their 10 a.m. work session this morning. Their full agenda is online here.
• Beacon columnist Dave Davis talks this month about how compassion starts with oneself.
• Young Musicians United for Gun Safety, a local initiative featuring young local bands, is hosting a concert tonight at East Hampton’s Guild Hall to raise money for everytown.org to continue promoting gun reform. The night will feature Big Karma, The Sectionals and Earthreal. Tickets are $15 and more details are online here.
• Tonight’s season finale of “Alive on 25” in downtown Riverhead includes an art and light show in Grangebel Park. The street fair runs from 5 to 9:30 throughout downtown Riverhead.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:25 a.m., 8:52 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:33 a.m., 8 p.m.
Greenport: 9:02 a.m., 9:29 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:04 a.m., 10:24 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:57 a.m., 9:24 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:24 a.m., 10:51 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:31 a.m., 10:58 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 7:43 a.m., 8:04 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:52 a.m., 6:13 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:16 a.m., 9:43 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:24 a.m., 8:51 p.m.
Greenport: 9:53 a.m., 10:20 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11 a.m., 11:19 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:48 a.m., 10:15 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:15 a.m., 11:42 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:22 a.m., 11:49 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:41 a.m., 8:59 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:50 a.m., 7:08 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.