This Morning’s Bulletin — 1.13.20
• Today will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 43 but wind chill values between 25 and 35, with an east wind 6 to 9 miles per hour. It will be mostly cloudy overnight, with a low around 31. There’s a 20 percent chance of rain after 1 p.m. Tuesday, but otherwise it will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 48. Wednesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 49.
• The South Fork Commuter Connection rail and bus service has dropped the $1 surcharge for the bus connection beginning today. More details are online here.
• The concept of grace is central to Christianity, which makes this idea of outrageous and selfless giving somewhat of an outlier in a secular world. But grace has never been more important and needed in our modern lives. We look at this concept through a new lens in this month’s editorial.
• Hayground School, in partnership with the Bridgehampton Child Care & Recreational Center, presents a free community screening of the new film Just Mercy, about the young lawyer Bryan Stevenson and his history-making battle for justice, at the Regal UA East Hampton Cinema next Sunday, Jan. 18 at 1 p.m. More details are online here.
• Because a new year is always about beginnings — your yard and garden being no exception — our Gardenwise columnist, Susan Tito, has come up with six suggestions for 2020 that may inspire you to think about gardening in a different way.
• The Beacon’s Week in Review was delivered piping hot to inboxes throughout the East End in the wee hours of Sunday morning. To get your own copy each week, sign up here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:31 a.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:39 a.m., 11:12 p.m.
Greenport: 12:08 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:48 a.m., 1:03 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:03 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:11 a.m., 1:30 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:18 a.m., 1:37 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:36 a.m., 11:18 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:45 a.m., 9:27 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:04 a.m., 12:23 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 11:31 p.m.
Greenport: 12:41 a.m., 1 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:38 a.m., 1:55 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:36 a.m., 12:55 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:03 a.m., 2:22 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:10 a.m., 2:29 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 11:30 a.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:39 a.m., 10:23 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.