• We’re expecting patchy fog before 9 a.m. today, but otherwise it will be mostly sunny, with a high near 46 but with wind chill values between 30 and 40 early, with a west wind 9 to 13 miles per hour. There’s a 50 percent chance of rain overnight, mainly after 1 a.m., with increasing clouds and a low around 38. Thursday will be partly sunny, with a high near 48, and Friday will be sunny, with a high near 29. Windy.
• Climate action and environmental resilience were top concerns in Governor Andrew Cuomo’s State of the State address earlier this month. Beacon letter writer Alexa Marinos weighs in on the plans this week.
• The Lake Agawam Conservancy will hold a free community seminar on “Toxic Free Landscapes” this Friday, Jan. 17 at the Southampton Arts Center. More details are online here.
• The Plastic Reduction and Elimination Project of the North Fork has announced it will hold its first meeting of 2020 at the Peconic Lane Community Center next Wednesday, Jan. 22 at 6:30 p.m. More details are online here.
• Riverhead Town’s Anti-Bias Task Force and Soul Joel Productions will present “United We Laugh,” which puts comedy to work in a two-act, cutting-edge show looking to take down stereotypes and prejudice on Tuesday, Jan. 28 at 7 p.m. at the Riverhead Senior Center in Aquebogue. More details are online here.
• Rockin’ for the Homeless, the 12th annual night of music and dancing at Riverhead’s Polish Hall to benefit East End Homeless Outreach, will be held on Saturday, Jan. 25 from 6 to 10 p.m. Tickets are $30 in advance or $35 at the door. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:57 a.m., 1:17 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:05 a.m., 12:25 p.m.
Greenport: 1:34 a.m., 1:54 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:29 a.m., 2:50 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:29 a.m., 1:49 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:56 a.m., 3:16 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:03 a.m., 3:23 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:14 a.m., 12:26 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:35 a.m., 11:20 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:57 a.m., 1:17 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1:02 a.m., 1:22 p.m.
Greenport: 2:31 a.m., 2:51 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 3:24 a.m., 3:49 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 2:26 a.m., 2:46 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:53 a.m., 4:13 p.m.
South Jamesport: 4 a.m., 4:20 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 1:11 a.m., 1:23 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:32 a.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.