• Have you begun getting ready for tonight’s blizzard? You’d probably better start. The Nationa; Weather Service is saying this one might be “historic” in its badness. The Beacon’s full report is online here. We’ll continue to provide updates over the next several days.
• Local scools are in session today, but, as of 7:30 a.m., Mattituck has cancelled after-school activities, Amagansett is weighing the possibility of an early dismissal and Montauk is releasing students at 11:30 a.m.(pre-K at 11 a.m.). The East Hampton School District has cancelled tomorrow night’s budget workshop. The Beacon’s full list of closings is online here.
• Canio’s Books in Sag Harbor, which turns 35 this year, has pledged to stay in Sag Harbor, despite the fact that the building it is housed in is on the market. The Beacon’s full report is online here.
• East Hampton’s airport noise committee has recommended curfews severe restrictions on helicopters at the town’s airport in Wainscott, and the town’s noise consultants are expected to unveil their recommendations Feb. 3. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• A bunch of civic-minded people in Mattituck and Laurel are launching a new civic association, called, aptly, the Mattituck-Laurel Civic Association. They’re planning to hold their first meeting on Wed., Jan. 28 at 6 p.m. at the Mattituck-Laurel Library, where they’ll be electing interim leaders and working on bylaws and a mission statement. They’re following the example of the East Marion Association in their formation and approach. All are welcome to attend.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.