• Today will be sunny, with a high near 42 degrees. Tonight will be partly cloudy, with a low around 21 but wind chill values between 10 and 15 degrees. Tomorrow will be mostly sunny, with a high near 44 degrees but wind chill values between 10 and 20. There’s a 20 percent chance of rain Saturday, but otherwise it will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 48.
• East Hampton Town Supervisor Larry Cantwell laid out a broad range of goals for 2016 in remarks to the public at his swearing-in Tuesday morning, including a plan to work with Southampton Hospital on a 24-hour emergency facility in East Hampton. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The early morning sky has a special treat just before sunrise over the next couple days. Just to the west of the slender waning crescent moon in the early morning sky, Venus and Saturn are moving closer and closer. On Jan. 9, they will be at their closest conjunction since Aug. 26, 2006.
• Greenport’s ice skating rink in Mitchell Park opened for the season yesterday afternoon, as the weather finally cooperated with the ice. The rink will be open from 3 to 5 p.m. weekdays and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekends, ice conditions permitting. For more information, call 631.477.2200, option 2. Tickets are $3 for children under 18 and seniors and $5 for adults on weekdays and are $7 for children and seniors and $10 for adults on weekends. The skating rink is also open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on all Greenport School holidays during the season.
• East Hampton rental registry applications will be available as of Jan. 15, and will be accepted by the town beginning Feb. 1. The town will begin enforcing the provisions of the registry on May 1. The town is hosting workshops on how to complete the forms with real estate professionals at town hall on Jan. 20 at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., and will be holding workshops for landlords and the general public on Jan. 27 at 1, 3 and 5 p.m.
• The Southampton Town Board will discuss agenda items for their Jan. 12 meeting and single stream recycling, in which all forms of recycling can be accepted together without separation, at their 10:30 a.m. work session this morning. Their full agenda is online here.
• The Riverhead Town Board will discuss a monthly street fair, the Concordia senior community project and committee assignments at their 9:30 a.m. work session this morning. Their full agenda is online here.
• The East Hampton Town Board will hold several public hearings on Community Preservation Fund acquisitions at their 6:30 p.m. meeting this evening. Their full agenda is online here.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.