• We’re expecting areas of frost before 8 a.m., but otherwise it will be sunny, with a high near 53 degrees and a calm wind becoming south 5 to 9 miles per hour in the afternoon. There’s 20 percent chance of showers after 1 a.m. overnight, with mostly cloudy skies and a low around 45. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers Tuesday, mainly after 11 a.m., with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 61. Wednesday will be sunny, with a high near 53.
• Local elections are tomorrow, with polls open from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. throughout the East End. Voters will report to their regular polling places — not to the early voting sites that had been operational the past two weeks. Here’s our Election Guide, and stay tuned to our Twitter (@eastendbeacon) and Instagram (@eebeacon) accounts for election night updates.
• The Riverhead Central School District is unveiling a scaled down capital improvement project after public concern about its initial cost of $100 million, and is expecting to unveil that project in a public meeting tomorrow, Tuesday, Nov. 5 in Room 133 of Riverhead High School.
• With the frost season now upon us, our Gardenwise columnist, Susan Tito, offers some hints this month for how to preserve your herbs for the cold months ahead.
• Greenport’s Paul Drum Life Experience Project, a children’s nautical education program, is holding a Gingerbread House-making competition and auction on Dec. 6 and 7. Applications are due this coming Monday, Nov. 11. More details are online here.
• East End Arts in Riverhead is now accepting high school students for its winter Master Class program with jazz musician and educator Thomas Manuel. Applications are due Dec. 3. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 3:19 a.m., 3:44 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 2:27 a.m., 2:52 p.m.
Greenport: 3:56 a.m., 4:21 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:42 a.m., 5:04 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:51 a.m., 4:16 p.m.
New Suffolk: 5:18 a.m., 5:43 p.m.
South Jamesport: 5:25 a.m., 5:50 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 2:21 a.m., 2:37 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:30 a.m., 12:46 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 4:24 a.m., 4:46 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 3:32 a.m., 3:54 p.m.
Greenport: 5:01 a.m., 5:23 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 5:40 a.m., 6:03 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 4:56 a.m., 5:18 p.m.
New Suffolk: 6:23 a.m., 6:45 p.m.
South Jamesport: 6:30 a.m., 6:52 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 3:15 a.m., 3:30 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 1:24 a.m., 1:39 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.