• There’s a 30 percent chance of snow today, mainly after 3 p.m., with Increasing clouds throughout the day and a high near 32. Wind chill values will be between 10 and 20 degrees. We’re expecting snow overnight, with a steady temperature around 29 degrees and accumulations of 1 to 2 inches. Saturday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 38, and Sunday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 37.
• Just ahead of the one-year anniversary tomorrow of the fire that destroyed the façade of the Sag Harbor Cinema, the group that is looking to rebuild the cinema has received a $1.4 million grant from the New York State Regional Economic Development Council, putting them within a hair’s breadth of the $8 million threshold necessary to purchase the property. More details are online here.
• Owners who are having trouble maintaining their historic properties in Southampton Town are being urged by the town to apply for a 2018 Landmarks Maintenance Program Award grant before the Dec. 29, 2017 deadline. More information is online here.
• As we wend our way through the gadgetry of the holiday season, we have a first-hand look at the most exciting things the future promises us — houses that obey our commands, cameras that capture photographs from high above the Peconic Bay, glimpses into our own DNA. The future is now, and in many ways, this must be one of the most exciting times in history to have been alive. But there is reason to not be so excited. The Beacon’s December editorial is online here.
• The Harbor Bells of Sag Harbor bring a free community bell choir concert to Peconic Landing in Greenport this evening at 6 p.m., while the Jamesport Meeting House holds its annual Carols & Cookies tonight at 6:30 p.m. The Southold Opera will hold its holiday concert tomorrow at 6:30 p.m. and Sunday at 3 p.m.[$35], while The Suffolk Theater in Riverhead hosts a Rockabilly Christmas tomorrow evening at 8 p.m. [$39-$45].
• The Beacon’s full Events Calendar is online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:35 a.m., 7:59 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:43 a.m., 7:07 p.m.
Greenport: 8:12 a.m., 8:36 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:07 a.m., 9:37 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:07 a.m., 8:31 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:34 a.m., 9:58 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:41 a.m., 10:05 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:56 a.m., 5:14 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 8:15 a.m., 8:40 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 7:23 a.m., 7:48 p.m.
Greenport: 8:52 a.m., 9:17 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 9:49 a.m., 10:19 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 8:47 a.m., 9:12 p.m.
New Suffolk: 10:14 a.m., 10:39 p.m.
South Jamesport: 10:21 a.m., 10:46 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 5:39 a.m., 5:58 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.