• Riverhead’s new indoor winter farmers market opens this morning at 11 a.m. in the old Swezey’s Department Store building in downtown Riverhead. Singer & guitarist Larrin Gerard will be performing and they’ve lined up about three dozen vendors for opening day. The market will be open 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. through May 17.
• Republican congressional candidate George Demos is throwing barbs at his fellow Republican candidate, State Senator Lee Zeldin, who has the support of state and county Republicans in this fall’s race for Tim Bishop’s seat. In an open letter to Mr. Zeldin yesterday, Mr. Demos criticized the senator for voting for the legislation that created the New York healthcare exchange.
“I’m disappointed in you. It’s perfectly okay to say you made a mistake and you shouldn’t have voted for Obamacare. But to try to hide it is just plain wrong,” he wrote. “I realize neither you nor the Republican leadership sponsored Obamacare. But you didn’t stop it either. And you could have.”
More to come on all of that.
• Southampton Center, an arts center that opened in the former Parrish Art Museum in downtown Southampton, is hosting a reception tonight at 5 p.m. for their first director, Michele Thompson, who starts work today. Ms. Thompson was most recently the Director of Adult Education and Arts of the 92nd Street Y
• Custer Institute in Southold will hold a lecture tonight at 7 p.m. on the process of photographing the comets of 2013. They will also hold a late-night stargazing party at the observatory. More information here.
• Riverhead Middle School’s Middle Masques are presenting a production of “Guys & Dolls, Jr.” tonight at 5 p.m., Feb 7 at 7:30 p.m. and Feb. 8 at 5 p.m. in the Middle School Cafetorium on Harrison Avenue. Tickets are $10 in advance and $12 at the door. For more information, contact:Pat Skura at 369.6767.
• Don’t forget in the midst of your Super Bowl preparations that tomorrow is Groundhog Day. The Beacon will report on the goings on surrounding Malverne Mel and Holtsville Hal if the groundhogs have anything interesting to say. We have heard that Malverne Mel was supposed to get an award tomorrow, but haven’t found any information to verify that rumor. So, there you have it, a rumor. There may or may not be six more weeks of winter. Stay warm.