• Ms. Mindy Benze’s English classes at the Riverhead Middle School have been studying the book “A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park. Ms. Benze’s students were so moved and motivated by their studies that they initiated a ”Water Challenge” to the Middle School teachers, staff and students. Ms. Benze, her students and several other teachers and students pledged to drink only water for two weeks to raise awareness about the water crisis around the world. The participants then donated the money they saved (from not purchasing soda, ice tea, etc.) to The Water Project. So far they have collected more than $1,000.00. Their money will be combined with other schools that have participated in a Water Challenge to fund the digging of a well in a place like the Sudan. It costs about $15,000 to dig a well, but can change the lives of the children who live in that village. Ms. Benze created a short video about the project, which is on the district’s website here.
• The East Marion Community Association will have its annual Cabin Fever Potluck and Book Swap at the East Marion Firehouse tomorrow, Feb. 8, from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. More information is online here.
• Sag Harbor’s fourth annual HarborFrost begins tonight with The Frost Ball at Muse in the Harbor restaurant, and continues all weekend. A detailed list of the events schedule is on The Beacon here.
• Podcasts from HITFest’s new radio show, “Water’s Edge Radio Hour,” are now available on the theater group’s website here. The show, which includes comedy sketches, music and essays, is taped live at Wölffer Estate Vineyards and broadcast on WPPB, 88.3 FM
• The North Fork Alliance, whose goal is to reduce substance abuse among youth on the North Fork, will hold a coalition meeting on Feb. 12 at 10 a.m. at the Mattituck-Laurel Library. Please RSVP to Laura Smith at email@example.com.
• Sustainable Long Island announced this week that their annual sustainability conference will be held on April 4 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Carlyle on the Green at Bethpage State Park. More information is online here.