• We’re looking ahead to an active weather weekend: We’re expecting light snow this morning, mainly before 8 a.m., with cloudy skies and a high near 39. Accumulation of less than half an inch of snow is possible this morning. We’re also expecting snow overnight and into Saturday, possibly mixed with sleet, with new snow and sleet accumulations of 2 to 4 inches possible. Temperature will be steady Saturday around 35 degrees, with the snow possibly turning to rain in the afternoon. Sunday will be partly sunny, with a high near 41 and a 30 percent chance of rain and snow after 4 p.m.
• The Peconic Baykeeper organization, which has been working to protect and restore the Peconic Estuary for 21 years, is undergoing big changes this winter. Read the full story in our sister publication, The Peconic Bathtub.
Learn what you can do to help local environmental organizations count alewives swimming upstream to spawn this spring at several upcoming sessions, including one this evening at 6 p.m. at the South Fork Natural History Museum. More details are in The Peconic Bathtub.
• Singer-songwriter Caroline Doctorow will be giving a benefit concert for the Friends of the Long Pond Greenbelt this evening at 7:30 p.m. at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of the South Fork. Tickets are $20. More details are online here.
• The Montauk Observatory and Stony Brook Southampton will host a lecture titled “From Deep Sea to Space” with Southampton Councilman John Bouvier this evening at 7:30 p.m. in which Mr. Bouvier will discuss his work with NASA and deep sea exploration. More details are online here.
• Find out what’s going on this weekend, and in the weeks ahead, in The Beacon’s Events Calendar.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:15 a.m., 6:42 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:23 a.m., 5:50 p.m.
Greenport: 6:52 a.m., 7:19 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:32 a.m., 8:07 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 6:47 a.m., 7:14 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:14 a.m., 8:41 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:21 a.m., 8:48 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 5:03 a.m., 5:34 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:12 a.m., 3:43 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:04 a.m., 7:26 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:12 a.m., 6:34 p.m.
Greenport: 7:41 a.m., 8:03 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:26 a.m., 8:56 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:36 a.m., 7:58 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:03 a.m., 9:25 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:10 a.m., 9:32 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 6 a.m., 6:29 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:09 a.m., 4:38 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.