This Morning’s Bulletin — 4.22.19

Pictured Above: Sunday evening at the North Ferry, Shelter Island

Good Morning!

• It will be mostly cloudy today, with a high near 64 degrees and showers likely after 2 p.m., with a north wind 5 to 8 miles per hour, becoming west in the afternoon. There’s a 60 percent chance of showers overnight, with mostly cloudy skies and a low around 48. Tuesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 64 and Wednesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 63 and a 40 percent chance of showers before noon.

• Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone is planning to announce today, in conjunction with Earth Day, that he will sign legislation making Suffolk County the first county in New York State to restrict the use of drinking straws to by request only, as well as ban food and beverage businesses from using polystyrene foam containers. The legislation is sponsored by Suffolk County Legislator Kara Hahn and recently passed the Suffolk County Legislature.

• Earth Day events are planned all throughout the upcoming weeks. Here are some highlights.

• The Ecological Culture Initiative is holding a community Earth Day screening of the film “Normal is Over,” about humanity’s wisest response to climate change, species extinction, the depletion of critical natural resources, income inequality and industrial control of our food production this evening at 7 p.m. Admission is free. More details are online here.

• The Lyrid meteor shower is at its peak this morning and tomorrow morning in the pre-dawn eastern sky. Intrepid skywatchers can view around 18 meteors per hour from the dust and debris field left by Comet Thatcher in the area around the bright star Vega, one of three stars that make up the summer triangle. Skywatchers are recommending looking for the meteors either before moonrise in the early evening, or between 3 and 4 a.m.

• South Fork author, professor and memoirist Roger Rosenblatt is launching a new play, “Lives in the Basement, Does Nothing: A Writing Life,” with special guest authors Amy Hempel and Alice McDermott next weekend at Bay Street Theatre in Sag Harbor. More details are online here.

• The Beacon’s Week in Review was delivered piping hot to inboxes throughout the East End in the wee hours of Sunday morning. To get your own copy each week, sign up here.

The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:

April 22
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:20 a.m., 12:53 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:01 p.m.
Greenport: 12:57 a.m., 1:30 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 1:54 a.m., 2:27 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:52 a.m., 1:25 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:19 a.m., 2:52 p.m.
South Jamesport: 2:26 a.m., 2:59 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:05 a.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:14 a.m., 10:35 p.m.

April 23
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:10 a.m., 1:44 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:18 a.m., 12:52 p.m.
Greenport: 1:47 a.m., 2:21 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:41 a.m., 3:16 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:42 a.m., 2:16 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:09 a.m., 3:43 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:16 a.m., 3:50 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:26 a.m., 12:57 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:06 a.m., 11:25 p.m.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

Beth Young

Beth Young has been covering the East End since the 1990s. In her spare time, she runs around the block, tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: