• There’s a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before 8 a.m. today, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 3 p.m. Otherwise, it will be partly sunny, with a high near 86 degrees and a light southwest wind increasing to 6 to 11 miles per hour in the morning. The chance of precipitation is 30 percent. It will be cloudy overnight, with a 60 percent chance of precipitation and a low around 72. Showers are likely Thursday, with possibly a thunderstorm before noon, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon, with a high near 78 degrees and a northeast wind 6 to 9 miles per hour. Friday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 88.
• Southold Town Supervisor Scott Russell floated a potentially game-changing proposal to ease the North Fork’s fall traffic nightmare at the town board’s July 16 work session: bike lanes. The Beacon’s full story is online here.
• The Accabonac Protection Committee will hold a public forum titled “Marsh Madness” this evening at 6 p.m. at Ashawagh Hall. More details are online here.
• Bay Street Theatre in Sag Harbor presents “My Witch: The Margaret Hamilton Stories,” the tale of how a gentle kindergarten teacher from Cleveland scared the living daylights out of every last one of us as the Wicked Witch of the West in “The Wizard of Oz” for five days beginning this evening. More details are online here.
• In celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing, the Montauk Observatory presents an afternoon-long series of events at Stony Brook Southampton College on Saturday, while Custer Observatory in Southold hosts a lecture Saturday evening on how to find the lunar landing sites when observing the moon.
• Cornell Cooperative Extension of Suffolk County’s marine program is hosting a “Taste + Tour” benefit at the Tiana Bayside education and community shellfish nursery on Dune Road in Hampton Bays next Thursday, July 25 from 6 to 8 p.m. More details are online here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:57 a.m., 11:13 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:05 a.m., 10:21 p.m.
Greenport: 11:34 a.m., 11:50 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:04 a.m., 12:35 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:29 a.m., 11:45 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:28 a.m., 12:56 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:35 a.m., 1:03 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:10 a.m., 10:23 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:19 a.m., 8:32 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:43 a.m., 11:58 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:51 a.m., 11:06 p.m.
Greenport: 12:20 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:46 a.m., 1:16 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 12:15 p.m.
New Suffolk: 1:12 a.m., 1:42 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:19 a.m., 1:49 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:53 a.m., 11:04 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 9:02 a.m., 9:13 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.