• The beach weather we missed over the holiday weekend is here! Today will sunny, with a high near 90, with a calm wind becoming south 5 to 9 miles per hour in the morning. Tonight will be partly cloudy, with a low around 68. Thursday will be partly sunny, with a high near 90. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms Friday, but otherwise it will be partly sunny, with a high near 83.
• The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has issued an ozone health advisory for today for the Long Island region. Suffolk County Health Commissioner Dr. James Tomarken is advising that young children, the elderly, those who exercise or are involved in strenuous outdoor work, and those with pre-existing respiratory or heart problems limit strenuous outdoor activity. Ozone levels are often elevated afternoon through early evening on hot, sunny days.
• Suffolk County Vector Control plans to spray the following areas on the East End with VectoBac and methoprene between 5 a.m. and 8 p.m. today and tomorrow: Stokes Pond, Jagger Lane, Apacuck Point, Moneybogue Bay, Westhampton Dunes, Meadow Lane and North Sea in Southampton Town; Napeague and Accabonac Harbor in East Hampton Town; Aquebogue Overlook and the Crescent Duck Farm in Riverhead Town and New Suffolk in Southold Town. For more information, contact Vector Control at 631.852.4270.
• The Riverhead Town Board meets at 2 p.m. today. As of 7 a.m., no agenda was posted online, and no notices of public hearings were posted online either. This is not the first time this has happened.
• Are your kids bored with summer already? The Group for the East End is hosting a nature journal workshop this morning at 11 a.m. at Downs Farm Preserve in Cutchogue [Free] and Guild Hall in East Hampton is hosting a Kidfest presentation of “Peter Pan,” preceded by a wing-making craft workshop, today at 5 p.m. [$12-$18]
• Free summer concert series continue throughout the East End this week, with The Lone Sharks at Southampton’s Coopers Beach tonight at 6:30 p.m. and Chicago Band Sizzlers at Silversmith Corner in Southold tonight at 7:30 p.m. Our full free summer concert series listings for the summer are online here.
• Our hike listings are in for the month of July! You can find updated information about group hikes, and bike rides and kayak excursions run by hiking groups, anytime online here. Bookmark that link, which is regularly updated!
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
MTK Hbr: 11:03 a.m., 11:24 p.m.
Orient: 12:04 p.m.
GPT: 12:03 a.m.,12:32 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 12:27 p.m.
S. JPT: 1:32 a.m., 2:01 p.m.
Shinn. In.: 9:25 a.m., 9:37 p.m.
MTK Hbr: 11:55 a.m.
Orient: 12:25 a.m., 12:56 p.m.
GPT: 12:53 a.m., 1:24 p.m.
Sag Hbr: 12:48 a.m., 1:19 p.m.
S. JPT: 2:22 a.m., 2:53 p.m.
Shinn. In.: 10:16 a.m., 10:26 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.