This Morning’s Bulletin — 8.15.19
• Today will be partly sunny, with a high near 76 degrees and an east wind 5 to 10 miles per hour. There will be patchy fog after 2 a.m. overnight, but otherwise it will be mostly cloudy, with a low around 64 and an east wind 5 to 8 miles per hour. There’s a 20 percent chance of showers after noon Friday, with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 77. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon Saturday, with partly sunny skies and a high near 80.
• The Riverhead Town Board will discuss its Open Space Committee’s annual report at its 10 a.m. work session this morning. The Southampton Town Board’s work session today has been cancelled.
• The East Hampton Town Board will hold a public hearing this evening on whether to designate The Art Barge and the D’Amico Studio Archives as historic landmarks at its 6:30 p.m. meeting this evening. More details are online here.
• Tonight is the full moon, and several nature organizations are holding hikes in honor of what’s been known as the sturgeon moon, which was when sturgeon were plentiful in the fishing grounds of Algonquin tribes in eastern North America. The Quogue Wildlife Refuge‘s hike is at 8 p.m. [$5/Members, $10/Non-Members]; Group for the East End’s hike is at Downs Farm Preserve in Cutchogue at 8:30 p.m. and Friends of the Long Pond Greenbelt will hold a hike at the South Fork Natural History Museum at 8:30 p.m.
• Music For Montauk presents a free outdoor concert of Brahms Gypsy Dances at Montauk County Park this evening at 6:30 p.m. More details are online here.
• Paddlers looking to preserve Plum Island are meeting at Orient Beach State Park this Saturday morning to raise funds to help with the visioning process for the future of the federally owned island, which is slated to be sold. More details are in our sister publication, The Peconic Bathtub.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:33 a.m., 10:51 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:41 a.m., 9:59 p.m.
Greenport: 11:10 a.m., 11:28 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:10 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:05 a.m., 11:23 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:08 a.m., 12:32 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:15 a.m., 12:39 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:47 a.m., 9:59 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:56 a.m., 8:08 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:16 a.m., 11:32 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:24 a.m., 10:40 p.m.
Greenport: 11:53 a.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:23 a.m., 12:48 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:48 a.m.
New Suffolk: 12:50 a.m., 1:15 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:57 a.m., 1:22 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:26 a.m., 10:37 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:35 a.m., 8:46 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light today.