Good Morning!

• There’s a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms tiday, mainly after 5 p.m., with partly sunny skies and a high near 85. The wind will be out of the south at 6 to 8 miles per hour. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms this evening, mainly before 10 p.m., with mostly cloudy skies and a low around 68. Tuesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 85, and a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 3 p.m. There’s a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms Wednesday, with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 84.

• New York Lieutenant Governor Kathy Hochul is expected to tour downtown Riverhead this morning to get a look at the town’s work to revitalize downtown.

• Our columnist Dave Davis takes a look this month at some old words for a new world from philosopher Jiddu Krishnamurti.

It will be a busy Monday at the South Fork’s arts institutions:

• The Hamptons Institute at Guild Hall in East Hampton takes a look this evening at 7 p.m. at “The Future of Leadership,” with a group of young leaders representing the government, activism and philanthropy discussing “the type of leadership that will lead to a return to civil discourse and create a more harmonious society.”

• The Southampton Arts Center presents a performance of “House Rules,” a new musical based on the Jodi Picault novel, at its “Theater & Opera Mondays” this evening at 7 p.m. Tickets are $20 and more details are online here.

• Broadway leading man John Lloyd Young comes to Bay Street Theatre in Sag Harbor this evening at 8 p.m. for an evening of “spine-tingling, soul-bearing showstoppers.” More details are online here.

• The Beacon’s Week in Review was delivered piping hot to inboxes throughout the East End in the wee hours of Sunday morning. To get your own copy each week, sign up here.

The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:

August 19
Plum Gut Harbor: 12:55 a.m., 1:24 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:03 a.m., 12:32 p.m.
Greenport: 1:32 a.m., 2:01 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:18 a.m., 2:39 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 1:27 a.m., 1:56 p.m.
New Suffolk: 2:54 a.m., 3:23 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:01 a.m., 3:30 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:18 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 10:27 a.m., 10:38 p.m.

August 20
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:36 a.m., 2:06 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:44 a.m., 1:14 p.m.
Greenport: 2:13 a.m., 2:43 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:57 a.m., 3:17 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 2:08 a.m., 2:38 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:35 a.m., 4:05 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:42 a.m., 4:12 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:29 a.m., 12:55 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:04 a.m., 11:18 p.m.

And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.

Beth Young
Beth Young is an award-winning local journalist who has been covering the East End since the 1990s. She began her career at the Sag Harbor Express and, after receiving her Masters from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, has reported for the Southampton Press, the East Hampton Press and the Times/Review Media Group. She founded the East End Beacon website in 2013, and a print edition in 2017. Beth was born and raised on the North Fork. In her spare time, she tinkers with bicycles, tries not to drown in the Peconic Bay and hopes to grow the perfect tomato. You can send her a message at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please prove you're human: