• Today will be sunny, with a high near 86 degrees and a north wind around 6 miles per hour, becoming south in the afternoon. There’s a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 1 a.m., with partly cloudy skies overnight and a low around 70. There’s a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms Wednesday, with patchy fog before 7 a.m., mostly cloudy skies throughout the day and a high near 84. There’s a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms Thursday, with partly sunny skies and a high near 88.
• The East Hampton Town Board will hear an interim report on airport operations, an update on the Springs and East Hampton hamlet studies and a proposed one-day hunting ban at its 10 a.m. work session this morning at town hall. More details are online here.
• The Riverhead Town Board meets this evening at 6 p.m. Their agenda is online here.
• Guild Hall in East Hampton hosts a conversation between actor Alan Alda and podcaster Laura Brown on “How to be a Badass” this evening at 8 p.m. Tickets range from $20 to $50. More details are online here.
• The North Fork Environmental Council is launching its second annual Fall Native Perennial Planting Challenge this Friday, Aug. 23 with a 6:30 p.m. presentation at the Peconic Lane Community Center — they’re working to get bulk pricing on native plants for participants who agree to convert a portion of their yard to a native garden. More details are online here.
• Custer Institute, an astronomical observatory in Southold, brings StarFest, a weekend long celebration of the skies, to the community this weekend.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:36 a.m., 2:06 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:44 a.m., 1:14 p.m.
Greenport: 2:13 a.m., 2:43 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 2:57 a.m., 3:17 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 2:08 a.m., 2:38 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:35 a.m., 4:05 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:42 a.m., 4:12 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:29 a.m., 12:55 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:04 a.m., 11:18 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 2:19 a.m., 2:49 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1:27 a.m., 1:57 p.m.
Greenport: 2:56 a.m., 3:26 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 3:40 a.m., 3:58 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 2:51 a.m., 3:21 p.m.
New Suffolk: 4:18 a.m., 4:48 p.m.
South Jamesport: 4:25 a.m., 4:55 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 1:09 a.m., 1:32 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:41 a.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.