• Today will be partly sunny, with a high near 75 degrees and an east wind 8 to 13 miles per hour. It will be mostly cloudy overnight, with a low around 66 degrees and a 20 percent chance of showers after 3 a.m. Wednesday will be cloudy, with a high near 80 and a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Thursday will be partly sunny, with a high near 84.
• When students go back to school across the East End this month, their days will look much different than they did before the pandemic caused schools to shut their doors in March. Read our snapshot of what to expect.
• With two major solar projects currently under review in Calverton, the Riverhead Town Board has proposed a year-long moratorium on new solar farm applications. The board will hold a public hearing on the moratorium at its 2 p.m. meeting today. Here are more details.
• The East Hampton Town Board will discuss a proposed satellite emergency room for Stony Brook Southampton Hospital, a communications campaign and time restrictions on parking in Amagansett at its 11 a.m. teleconference work session this morning. Here’s the agenda.
• Suffolk County reported 57 new cases of Covid-19 in the 24 hours ending Aug. 31, with 1.1 percent of the people tested testing positive. There are currently 34 people hospitalized with the virus in Suffolk, six of whom are in intensive care. There were no new fatalities reported, and the county’s death toll stands at 2,002.
• Southampton Town is in the midst of preparing a new Housing Plan, which it will adopt as an updated element of the town’s 1999 Comprehensive Plan later this year. The town is asking residents to take an online survey to help them develop the plan, after a series of virtual community meetings held in August. Here are more details.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:54 a.m., 10:14 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:02 a.m., 9:22 p.m.
Greenport: 10:31 a.m., 10:51 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:34 a.m., 11:52 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:26 a.m., 10:46 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:53 a.m.
South Jamesport: Noon
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:13 a.m., 9:28 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:22 a.m., 7:37 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:35 a.m., 10:56 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:43 a.m., 10:04 p.m.
Greenport: 11:12 a.m., 11:33 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:15 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:07 a.m., 11:28 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:13 a.m., 12:34 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:20 a.m., 12:41 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:54 a.m., 10:08 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:03 a.m., 8:17 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.