• Today will be sunny, with a high near 66 degrees and an east wind around 15 miles per hour. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 53. Saturday will be partly sunny, with a high near 74. . There’s a 30 percent chance of showers before 2 p.m. Sunday, with partly sunny skies and a high near 78.
• In this month’s “The Homestead” column: “There was a time when most of us would at least try to show a level of respect for one another and couch our messages in respectful language. But that appears to be “out the window” for more and more of us these days.”
• Tonight is the full moon, and nature groups throughout the East End are celebrating with full moon hikes this evening. The Quogue Wildlife Refuge’s hike begins at 7 p.m. Group for the East End’s hike at Downs Farm Preserve in Cutchogue begins at 7:30 p.m. The Friends of the Long Pond Greenbelt will hold their monthly full moon hike Saturday evening at 7:30 at the South Fork Natural History Museum in Bridgehampton.
• The East Marion Community Association is having a discussion with the Suffolk County Water Authority (SCWA) on critical water quality and quantity issues tomorrow, Saturday Sept. 14 at 10 am at the East Marion Firehouse. All are welcome to attend and bring questions to discuss with SCWA officials.
• The Suffolk County Historical Society in Riverhead will hold an opening reception tomorrow, Sept. 14 at 1 p.m. on art and artifacts of the Eastern Woodland Indians. More details are online here.
• There’s plenty to do on the East End this weekend, and in the weeks ahead. Get the details in our Events Calendar.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:07 a.m., 10:25 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:15 a.m., 9:33 p.m.
Greenport: 10:44 a.m., 11:02 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:41 a.m., 11:58 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:39 a.m., 10:57 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:06 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:13 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:20 a.m., 9:33 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:29 a.m., 7:42 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:47 a.m., 11:05 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:55 a.m., 10:13 p.m.
Greenport: 11:24 a.m., 11:42 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:18 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:19 a.m., 11:37 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:24 a.m., 12:46 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:31 a.m., 12:53 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:56 a.m., 10:09 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:05 a.m., 8:18 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.