• It will be mostly cloudy today, with a high near 76 degrees and an east wind around 11 miles per hour. It will be mostly cloudy overnight, with a low around 59. Saturday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 77, and Sunday will be sunny, with a high near 77.
• The East End is under a high surf advisory, with a high risk of rip currents as well along ocean beaches until 8 p.m. this evening, as the monster Hurricane Florence batters the Carolinas. Surf heights here are expected to be 7 to 10 feet this morning, gradually subsiding throughout the day.
• Several local organizations are planning beach cleanups for International Beach Clean Up Day this Saturday, Sept. 15. Here are the details.
• There’s plenty to do on the East End this weekend, and in the weeks ahead. Get the details in our Events Calendar.
• Looking ahead to next week, the League of Women Voters of the Hamptons will hold a forum titled “Make Your Voice Heard” next Monday, Sept. 17 at 2:30 p.m. at the East Hampton Library. More details are online here.
• East Hampton Town and the East Hampton Arts Council will hold a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony to celebrate the newly installed Bill King Sculpture, Nureyev & Fontaine, donated last year by Laurel Cutler to the Town of East Hampton on Monday, Sept. 17 at 2 p.m. on the grounds of Town Hall at 159 Pantigo Road in East Hampton. All are welcome to attend. Refreshments will be served after the ceremony.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 1:39 a.m., 2:07 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 12:47 a.m., 1:15 p.m.
Greenport: 2:16 a.m., 2:44 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 3:15 a.m., 3:36 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 2:11 a.m., 2:39 p.m.
New Suffolk: 3:38 a.m., 4:06 p.m.
South Jamesport: 3:45 a.m., 4:13 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 12:52 a.m., 1:24 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 11:33 a.m., 11:54 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 2:33 a.m., 3:02 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 1:41 a.m., 2:10 p.m.
Greenport: 3:10 a.m., 3:39 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 4:08 a.m., 4:29 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 3:05 a.m., 3:34 p.m.
New Suffolk: 4:32 a.m., 5:01 p.m.
South Jamesport: 4:39 a.m., 5:08 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 1:45 a.m., 2:15 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 12:24 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.