• Today will be sunny, with a high near 74 degrees and a calm wind becoming east 5 to 8 miles per hour in the morning. It will be mostly clear overnight, with a low around 61. Tuesday will be partly sunny, with a high near 76. Wednesday will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 79, a 20 percent chance of showers and a southeast wind 8 to 14 miles per hour.
• East End Congressman Lee Zeldin, who is running for governor of New York State, announced Saturday that he had been treated for chronic myeloid leukemia beginning in November of 2020, and was now in remission. “Through early detection, last November, I was diagnosed with early stage chronic myeloid leukemia (CML),” he said in a statement. “I then began treatment with an immediately positive response and no side effects. Over the last 9 months, I have achieved complete remission, am expected to live a normal life, and my doctor says I currently have no evidence of this disease in my system. My health is phenomenal and I continue to operate at 110%.”
• The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation reported Sept. 16 that deer on Long Island have begun to fall ill and die from Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease, which until now had been a problem primarily seen in Upstate New York. Read More.
• The final meeting in a series of virtual sessions on the future of the East Hampton Airport will be held via Zoom this evening at 7 p.m. Here are more details.
• The Hampton Bays Library at 52 Ponquogue Avenue plays host to a New York Blood Center blood drive from 1 to 7 p.m. today. New York is currently experiencing an emergency blood shortage. Appointments are recommended, online here.
• Hear Beacon editor Beth Young discuss the latest news on the East End with a great team of local journalists on this week’s Behind the Headlines on WLIW-FM, available via podcast here.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:53 a.m., 10:15 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:01 a.m., 9:23 p.m.
Greenport: 10:30 a.m., 10:52 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:34 a.m., 11:56 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:25 a.m., 10:47 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:52 a.m.
South Jamesport: 11:59 a.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:16 a.m., 9:32 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:25 a.m., 7:41 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:35 a.m., 10:57 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:43 a.m., 10:05 p.m.
Greenport: 11:12 a.m., 11:34 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:16 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:07 a.m., 11:29 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:14 a.m., 12:34 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:21 a.m., 12:41 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:57 a.m., 10:13 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:06 a.m., 8:22 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.