• Today will be sunny, with a high near 74 degrees and a northwest wind around 10 miles per hour. It will be clear overnight, with a low around 57. There’s a 20 percent chance of showers after 2 p.m., with otherwise mostly sunny skies, and a high near 78. Friday will be sunny, with a high near 73.
• Southampton Town is poised for a contentious election season, with three candidates for town supervisor and five candidates, only one of whom is an incumbent, vying for two seats on the town board. The Beacon’s coverage of their first debate of the season, on Monday in Hampton Bays, is online here.
• Congressman Lee Zeldin has announced that the Children’s Museum of the East End was awarded $153,077 in federal funding from the Institute of Museum and Library Services to develop educational programming for a satellite location at Ludlam Avenue Park in Riverside.
• The Quogue Wildlife Refuge plays host to a film screening of “Green Fire: Aldo Leopold and a Land Ethic For Our Time” tomorrow evening at 7 p.m. More details are online here.
• Poquatuck Hall on Village Lane in Orient will host an informational meeting about the newly-completed Southold Town Comprehensive Plan, hosted by the Southold Town Board and Southold Planning Board, on Saturday, Oct. 5 at 9 a.m. This presentation had originally been scheduled in August but had been postponed.
• Our columnist Dave Davis has found himself lately sharing a quote from teacher and spiritualist Kim Eng: “People love at their level of consciousness.” Read more in Dave’s Desk@Ditch.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 6:28 a.m., 6:53 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 5:36 a.m., 6:01 p.m.
Greenport: 7:05 a.m., 7:30 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 7:51 a.m., 8:11 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7 a.m., 7:25 p.m.
New Suffolk: 8:27 a.m., 8:52 p.m.
South Jamesport: 8:34 a.m., 8:59 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 5:22 a.m., 5:40 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 3:31 a.m., 3:49 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 7:21 a.m., 7:46 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 6:29 a.m., 6:54 p.m.
Greenport: 7:58 a.m., 8:23 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 8:50 a.m., 9:12 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 7:53 a.m., 8:18 p.m.
New Suffolk: 9:20 a.m., 9:45 p.m.
South Jamesport: 9:27 a.m., 9:52 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 6:28 a.m., 6:46 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 4:37 a.m., 4:55 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.