• There’s a 30 percent chance of showers today, mainly after 1 p.m., with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 68. The wind today will be out of the southwest at 13 to 15 miles per hour. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 52. Saturday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 68, and Sunday will be partly sunny, with a high near 69.
• The Mattituck American Legion along with the North Fork Girl Scouts will be placing flags on the graves of veterans in local cemeteries in Mattituck and Cutchogue tomorrow morning at 10 a.m., beginning with a brief ceremony at the American Legion Hall. Members of the public are encouraged to help out. More details are online here.
• The North Fork Plastic Reduction and Elimination Project hosts Writer, Artist and Scientist Erica Cirino speaking on “Exploring the Pacific Ocean and Beyond in Pursuit of Plastic: Plastic Pollution, Science and Solutions” at the Peconic Lane Community Center this evening, May 17 at 6:30 p.m. More details are online here.
• Our columnist Michael Daly discusses his dream for the future of our region in this month’s The Homestead column.
• The Peconic Land Trust’s Quail Hill Farm in Amagansett hosts its annual planting and stewardship day tomorrow beginning at 10 a.m. Members of the public are welcome to come help plant seedlings from the greenhouse.
• Full moon hikes abound throughout the East End over the next couple meetings. The Quogue Wildlife Refuge will hold a hike at 8 p.m. this evening, Group for the East End holds a hike at Downs Farm Preserve tomorrow at 8:30 p.m. and the South Fork Natural History Museum also hosts a hike tomorrow at 8:30 p.m.
• The 10th Annual Fleece & Fiber Fair will be held this weekend at Hallockville Museum Farm. More details are online here.
• There’s plenty else to do on the East End this weekend, and in the weeks ahead. Get the details in our Events Calendar.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 9:16 a.m., 9:35 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 8:24 a.m., 8:43 p.m.
Greenport: 9:53 a.m., 10:12 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 10:56 a.m., 11:13 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 9:48 a.m., 10:07 p.m.
New Suffolk: 11:15 a.m., 11:34 p.m.
South Jamesport: 11:22 a.m., 11:41 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 8:29 a.m., 8:57 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 6:38 a.m., 7:06 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:04 a.m., 10:21 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:12 a.m., 9:29 p.m.
Greenport: 10:41 a.m., 10:58 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 11:45 a.m., 11:59 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 10:36 a.m., 10:53 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:03 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:10 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:18 a.m., 9:42 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 7:27 a.m., 7:51 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.