• We’re expecting a 20 percent chance of showers after 2 p.m. today, with mostly sunny skies, a high temperature near 74 degrees and a west wind 9 to 16 miles per hour. It will be partly cloudy overnight, with a low around 57. Tuesday will be mostly sunny, with a high near 74, and Wednesday will be sunny, with a high near 71.
• About 50 sixth graders from The Springs School met not far from their school, at the end of Landing Lane on the banks of Accabonac Harbor on the morning of Sept. 19 for what one student deemed “the most unexpected field trip ever.” Read more in our sister publication, The Peconic Bathtub.
• The Mattituck-Laurel Civic Association will hold an informational presentation on the Community Preservation Fund land preservation program this evening at its 6:30 p.m. meeting at the Mattituck Park District Community Room at Veterans Beach on Peconic Bay Boulevard. Here are more details.
• The Hampton Bays Civic Association will hold a Meet the Candidates forum with State Senate candidates Anthony Palumbo, the Republican incumbent, and his Democratic challenger Skyler Johnson, and with First State Assembly District candidates Fred Thiele, the Democratic incumbent, and his Republican opponent Peter Ganley on Wednesday, Sept. 28 at 7 p.m. at the Southampton Town Community Center at 25 Ponquogue Ave. in Hampton Bays. All are welcome to come and bring their questions for the candidates.
• According to the New York Times’ tracking of state and local health agencies, the daily average number of new Covid cases in Suffolk County for the week ending Sept. 24 was 427, with 11 percent of people testing positive, 211 people hospitalized and an average of two deaths from the virus per day. We will be using these statistics to provide weekly updates on Covid numbers in the Morning Bulletin going forward.
The high tides on the East End for the next two days are as follows:
Plum Gut Harbor: 10:49 a.m., 11:06 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 9:57 a.m., 10:14 p.m.
Greenport: 11:26 a.m., 11:43 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:18 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:21 a.m., 11:38 p.m.
New Suffolk: 12:28 a.m., 12:48 p.m.
South Jamesport: 12:35 a.m., 12:55 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 9:56 a.m., 10:04 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:05 a.m., 8:13 p.m.
Plum Gut Harbor: 11:26 a.m., 11:45 p.m.
Montauk Harbor: 10:34 a.m., 10:53 p.m.
Greenport: 12:03 p.m.
Mattituck Inlet: 12:38 a.m., 12:55 p.m.
Sag Harbor: 11:58 a.m.
New Suffolk: 1:05 a.m., 1:25 p.m.
South Jamesport: 1:12 a.m., 1:32 p.m.
Shinn. Bay Entrance: 10:31 a.m., 10:41 p.m.
Shinn. Inlet: 8:40 a.m., 8:50 p.m.
And that’s the way things look at dawn’s light here today.